2nd International Conference on Self-Initiated Expatriation
The 2nd International Conference on Self-Initiated Expatriation, organised by Prof. Dr. Maike Andresen at the University of Bamberg, will take place from the 11th to the 12th of April 2022 in Bamberg, Germany.
As a follow-up to the 1st Conference on Self-Initiated Expatriation in Toulouse, this two-day event will address the careers of Self-Initiated Expatriates (SIEs), as well as the value these globally mobile individuals bring to companies and, more broadly, to host-country economies and societies.
SIEs are individuals who seek and start a new job/career in another country on their own initiative. For this new job abroad, SIEs either relocate physically or work virtually by international remote work.
This interdisciplinary conference will bring academia and industry together for a fruitful exchange of ideas.
Who should attend
This conference will provide the ideal opportunity for researchers and practitioners from all over the world who are active or interested in the field of international mobility, migration and careers, to
- disseminate and discuss the latest research on expatriation at the individual, organisational and societal level,
- share insights on how to put research into practice,
- explore new international research and business collaborations,
- meet in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere to exchange views and build relationships.
The conference will include paper presentations followed by roundtables for discussion with audience members. Anyone with interest in expatriation from an individual, organisational or societal perspective is invited to submit their short paper (in English, 3,000 words and formatted as per APA style).
We welcome both (academic) research papers and (practitioner-focused) rapid evidence assessments.
Papers should include:
- A brief overview or abstract to be included in the conference programme (max 100 words)
- The aims and/or intended contributions of the study;
- An outline description of the theoretical framework and concepts;
- The research design and approach to data analysis (where applicable);
- The key findings, along with their theoretical and practical significance.
All submissions must be original and should not have been previously accepted for publication in a journal. All submissions will be blind reviewed.
Please submit your paper below, in Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format (excluding any author identifying information).
No conference fees.
Deadline for short paper submissions: Monday 15 November 2021, 23:59:59 CET (Central European Time)
Decision on paper acceptance: 14 December 2021.
Conference registration information to follow.
Maike Andresen (Chair), University of Bamberg
Simone Treiber (Co-Chair), University of Bamberg
Blanca Suarez-Bilbao, University of Bamberg
Maike Andresen, University of Bamberg/DE
Cordula Barzantny, Toulouse Business School/FR
Herbert Brücker, IAB/DE
Michael Dickmann, Cranfield University/UK
Sara Louise Muhr, Copenhagen Business School/DK
Vesa Suutari, University of Vaasa/FI
Jaime Bonache, University of Madrid/ES
Chris Brewster, Henley Business School/UK
Marion Festing, ESCP Business School, Berlin/DE
Jan Selmer, Aarhus University/DK